Welcome to Open Roads Driving School in Muskego, Wisconsin
We are now open forbehind the wheel lessons again!!!
As a result of being re-classified as an essental business on Thursday May 7,2020, we will resume BTW lessons on May 11,2020. Priority for some time slots will be given to students who have been in the BTW system the longest.
In preparation for resumption of lessons we ask that students obtain masks that cover their nose and mouth. Our instructors will be given masks for themselves only. We will have hand sanitizer and disinfectant wipes for students as long as we can procure them. Students are welcome to bring their own as well.
As our partner in driver training, we understand the toll COVID-19 has taken on your community and on your business. Although the situation is changing daily, we want you to be among the first to know the steps DMV is taking to deal with the backlog of demand for skills testing and serve our customers effectively. Due to the pandemic, there is a backlog of about 16,000 road tests with an additional demand of approximately 2,100 new drivers each week.
We ask that you refrain from sharing the following information with your customers or local media until Tuesday, May 5 at 9 a.m. We are planning to make this information available to the public on that day. We would like to ensure all schools are informed and DMV staff are available to respond to questions. We hope this advanced notice will help you address any questions you have prior to it becoming public.
DMV created two pilot programs and enhanced safety features in DMV Customer Service Centers to safely provide needed services and help keep everyone safe. DMV will announce the following new pilots to the public on May 5:
· The first pilot program is a road test waiver for 16-17 year old drivers who successfully completed an approved Driver Education Program, including Behind-the-Wheel. Beginning May 11, those under 18 years may be eligible to have their road test waived if their parent or guardian agrees.
· The second pilot program allows eligible drivers to renew their driver license online and receive their new card in the mail. Please visit wisconsindmv.gov/renewDL for more information
Other adjustments to Class-D driver training and testing include:
· DMV road tests resume on May 26 by appointment only which should be scheduled online
· On May 7 at 5 p.m., DMV will reopen the ability to schedule road tests to those who had a road test previously scheduled and then cancelled. This should be done online
o DMV will send an email/text to those affected on May 7 with instructions
· Beginning May 8, DMV will reopen the ability for anyone who doesn't qualify for the road test waiver or whose parents or guardians prefer a road test to schedule it online
o Road tests will be modified to adhere to current safety practices and provide a safe environment for the novice driver and examiner
· DMV will resume issuing Instruction Permits and conducting Knowledge Tests beginning May 11. This does not require an appointment
· DMV Service Hours are extended week of May 11 and May 18, Monday through Friday 7am-5pm
Additional Road Test Waiver Information
· Who qualifies? Any person 16 or 17 years of age who:
o Successfully completed an approved Driver Training Education Course
o Held instruction permit for a minimum of 6 months
o Successfully completed Behind-the-Wheel
o Have parent or guardian sign the waiver to receive the road test waiver
· Who does not qualify?
o Any person 18 years of age or older
o Any person who has not successfully completed an approved Driver Training Education Course
o Any person who has not completed Behind-the-Wheel
o Any person who has previously failed a road test
o Any person whose sponsor does not agree to having the road test waived
· How to apply
o Driver Training Schools will submit student records as normal. DMV records will show completion status of the Driver Training Education course and Behind-the-Wheel
o Students who meet the requirements should apply online through the road test waiver page wisconsindmv.gov/testwaiver
o Normal fees apply
o Sponsor (parent or guardian) will acknowledge full responsibility and sign waiver
o DMV will convert license status from Instruction Permit to Probationary License
§ PDF copy of new probationary license card is emailed for immediate use
§ The driver should receive the physical Probationary License card via mail in 7-10 days
§ Driver should print pdf if possible, or present email to Law Enforcement if necessary until physical card arrives
· About the waiver
o Parent or guardian agrees to accept responsibility and vouch for the safe driving abilities of the new student
o Parent or guardian will sign electronic agreement
o The parent's or guardian's driver license or ID card number will be entered into the online system and they will receive verification that our records indicate they approved the road test waiver
Additional Driver Training Information
· Virtual classroom now available on temporary basis - please review the most recent Driver Training School Newsletter here
· Please use your own judgment to safely operate your business in accordance to your legal counsel and local law enforcement authorities
· Beginning Tuesday, May 26, when road tests resume, new testing methods will incorporate protective gear to ensure the safety of driver and examiner
We appreciate your partnership in providing high-quality driver education to Wisconsin drivers. We ask that you refrain from sharing this with your local media or customers before the announcement. Follow us on WisDOT's Facebook (@WisDOT) and Twitter (@WisconsinDOT) to repost this important information.
Again, it's our privilege to partner with you to make the next generation of Wisconsin drivers safe and skilled behind the wheel. It is our goal to keep you up to date with the latest information as quickly as possible. We appreciate your continued support and flexibility.
Please let us know if you have any additional questions.
Driver Training and Records Unit
Hybrid classes have been cancelled until further notice due to uncertainty of available classroom at Mukwonago HS,online only available at this time.
Learn to drive from the best!
"As a retired police officer, I have a vested interest in the community and strive to make our streets safer to drive for everyone. Our most important goal is to produce the safest drivers of any drivers education program available."
-- John Walejewski, Owner and Driving Instructor
At home and/or school pickup within the Mukwonago School District and Muskego School Districts only. Other pickup locations may be available on an individual basis.
- We offer classroom and online training complete with behind-the-wheel training.
- We offer the most comprehensive behind-the-wheel training in the area.
- We are the only Mukwonago area school to have online scheduling!
- All our cars are rated by IIHS and NHTSA as top safety picks -- Sonata Hybrid and Ford Fusion. The cars are equipped with an instructor brake and pass yearly safety inspections per DOT regulations.
Choose the leader in innovative driver education instruction. Our online instruction utilizes the best course specifically designed for the State of Wisconsin, not a generic national program. We were the first school in the area to offer this providers programming. Other schools are now beginning to offer the same or similar programming. There is a reason others mimic what we do because we are always looking to improve our offerings for our students to provide the best learning experience possible. Many schools make it difficult to schedule BTW lessons either because they overbook or just don't have the ability to schedule without speaking to an instructor. We have online scheduling so you can schedule a BTW lesson anytime by logging into your account, no need to "speak" to an instructor. Our online schedule will also allow you to receive reminder emails of upcoming lessons if you choose to receive them. Ask the school you are considering, how long of a wait before you can get into a BTW class, many are booked 2 months in advance. Our class sizes are limited so we stay within our means to provide those lessons as well in a timely fashion.
We also offer Wisconsin DNR safety classes for snowmobiling, ATVing, and boating.
TO COMPLETE ONLINE COURSEWORK LOG IN AT